Rant on Wheels

Sunday, January 14, 2007

Washing underwear in the sink - Day 4 in purgatory

It's day 4 in the Hotel from hell - there is some talk that the airport will be closed again tomorrow - more snow/sleet is pouring out of the grey sky - Mind you, this is the first real snow/sleet that I've seen while being down here.

In my boredom, I've decided to redecorate my room. It started with making airplanes from the Clifbar wrappers then moved to rearranging furniture to a more desirable feng shui and now with underwear and various bits of newly-clean clothing hanging from the towel racks and drying by way of a hairdryer.

I'm down to 6 hamburger buns, 2 bananas 1 clifbar and I restocked last night on the water - thank God for the strength of the powerlines and internet access - I would be on the verge of some psychotic episode if not for them. I am also grateful for the endless ability to amuse myself with the sheer stupidity of this situation.

Last night I ventured out into the 'Storm of the Century' - which meant walking on top of the snow/sleet covered ground. Alright, I confess - it is kinda nasty out here - there is no salt on any of the streets or sidewalks - and while it is easily passable by foot, I wouldn't want to take a cute little convertible out on these roads (even if I did have one). So I walked about 4 miles down the strip of closed and vacant buildings - it's pretty surreal . . . Very quiet - eerily so.

But it was also refreshing (if you call 40 mile an hour wind whipping through 11 degree weather 'refreshing'). I was wearing my $2.99 beauty of a gen-U-ine knit acrylic hat - the song "I'm too sexy" going off in my head - oh yeah!

If I don't get out of here soon - I'm walking back to Michigan - surely it won't take me any more time than it would to fly!

So it's off to relive the ride I took last Thursday on the new SRAM Force grouppo I just had put on my bike - what bike porn - sexy beyond what should be mentioned here - and crisp and clean - no break/shifter cables visible - if you haven't had the chance to try it - I highly recommend - ESPECIALLY if you have hand/wrist issues - the ergonomics of this new grouppo are fantastic.

Oh, gosh, I need a cold shower now -

1 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

Awww. Sucks to be you right now. Just try to relax and wait it out. The south just stops when this stuff happens

I have the Force group on my road bike and love it.

January 14, 2007 9:33 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home